Sunday, October 28, 2012

Progress on Action Research Plan


Action Research Project

By Dyan Marek

 

Title- Are Students Positively or Negatively Impacted by Retention?

Needs Assessment- In talking with my principal, we discussed the importance of determining the effectiveness of retention. Over the last century, research has been conducted determining the harmful effects of retention and yet it is still a practice highly used throughout our country. My district wants to do everything possible to keep from having to retain a student, and my research will prove why this is important and interventions needed to help the individual students.

Objectives and Vision of the Action Research Project- The objective of this research project is to keep students from even needing to be retained. I envision strategies and interventions put into place ensuring the success of all students. In a measurable way, I want to improve student success and provide opportunities to each through the use of: reading interventions, math interventions, positive social groups, behavior plans, and community involvement.

Review of the Literature and Action Research Strategy-I have reviewed nine separate articles. After this review, my principal and I discussed our campuses’ needs and our need to ensure no child is retained. We will employ a variety of interventions and strategies to do this.

Articulate the Vision- The vision will be communicated through my blog site and a power point presentation. I will first gain approval from my principal and then share it with my colleagues on campus. If my findings are significant enough, I will share it with other principals as well.

Manage the Organization- I am responsible for identifying the students at risk and dividing them into two groups based on the likelihood of these students to be retained. I will also study the progress of a small group of students who have already been retained. Through the use of tutoring, by a number of different staff members, and the disaggregated data of these students, I will determine the effectiveness of differing strategies. Student learning and safety will be a high priority. All information will be kept confidential, with only those working directly with the students knowing their personal information. I will ensure all interventionist know the importance of confidentiality. We will all work with the highest standards of ethics on place.

Manage Operations- To lead the operations of the intervention strategies, I am participating in the Master Schedule Committee and PLC’s. Together, we determine groupings of students, teacher schedules, and plans of action. We are currently working on building consensus with our new schedule, which includes a power-time intended to provide ample opportunity for enrichment and tutoring. Our district has not met AYP for two years and it is important to determine a best practice to reach all students.

Respond to Community Interest and Needs- Our students with exceptional needs will be benefited by the power-time because they will get 45 minutes daily to practice for UIL, social needs, and enrichment. Those students with more specific academic and behavioral needs will benefit as well by the 45 minute daily tutoring made available. Here we will be able to focus on specific needs on a daily basis to provide for interventions for every child. All data is disaggregated, but groups are not determine by cultural, ethnic, or economic needs, but rather on individual needs based on academic scores or behavioral progress. We have also implemented PBIS strategies to help with behavioral needs. Together, the power time and PBIS should help us reach every student and ensure their success.

No comments:

Post a Comment